- Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) is an SDK for developing and deploying services on Windows.
- Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) is a platform, a framework if you will, for creating and distributing connected applications.
- Building services is significantly easier with WCF
- WCF provides interoperability between services.
- Most all of the WCF functionality is included in a single assembly called System.ServiceModel.dll in the System.ServiceModel namespace.
- WCF is part of .NET 3.0 and requires .NET 2.0, so it can only run on operation systems that support it:
- Windows Vista (client and server),
- Windows XP SP2, and
- Windows Server 2003 SP1
- Windows Server 2008
Layered architecture of Windows Communication Foundation:
Professional WCF Programming
Programming WCF Services